Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Remembering to Name

Just flipped open my Bible to this, Psalm 77:

1 I cried out to God for help;
I cried out to God to hear me.
2 When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;
at night I stretched out untiring hands,
and I would not be comforted.

3 I remembered you, God, and I groaned;
I meditated, and my spirit grew faint.[b]
4 You kept my eyes from closing;
I was too troubled to speak.
5 I thought about the former days,
the years of long ago;
6 I remembered my songs in the night.
My heart meditated and my spirit asked:

7 “Will the Lord reject forever?
Will he never show his favor again?
8 Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
Has his promise failed for all time?
9 Has God forgotten to be merciful?
Has he in anger withheld his compassion?”

10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
12 I will consider all your works
and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”

13 Your ways, God, are holy.
What god is as great as our God?
14 You are the God who performs miracles;
you display your power among the peoples.
15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your people,
the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.


The next psalm lists the ways God watched over the Israelites despite their turning away from Him again and again.

This reminds me to remember. To think of all the ways God blesses me. To name the tangible ways He shows His love.
210. The pteredactyl noises of a newborn.
211. The collaboration of two kids building a secret hide-out fort. "Harper, get back to work." "Can I have the blue tape now?" "Yeah, we're really special, because we have special powers in our body."
212. Bean and cheese burrito, no onion, no sauce.
213. Nap time.
214. The witty words of Jane Austen making a long drive enjoyable.
215. A quick but deep conversation with a friend, tears flowing, arms holding.
216. Gently probing the wound and feeling only a slight tenderness. Thank you, God, for healing!

No comments: