Friday, April 27, 2007

Getting Cinderalla Moms Ready for the Ball

After hitting a recent sleep issue, I did a search for Baby Wise on the internet to see if I could find other Mom’s out there struggling with parent directed feeding questions. Zilch. I did immediately find a whole lot of Baby Wise dissenters. Where are all the Baby Wise Moms out there? Forced into hiding by La Leche and Dr. Sear’s bulletin boards? Couldn’t we all use a forum for posting our struggles and victories with PD feeding?

As I stated before, I read the Baby Wise book and the binder that comes with the class. Perhaps because I haven’t taken the classes (which I hear are extremely beneficial), I have found myself struggling with the application of the approach. When the pedal hit the medal, or should I say, the breast hit the baby (no, I really shouldn’t), I was suddenly floundering in the minute, practical details with no answers in sight.

Thankfully (praise God on high, seriously, praise God), I have a friend who has three children and she has used the Baby Wise approach from the beginning. She is the perfect balance of a staunch believer in the approach and a compassionate friend who waits until she is asked before giving advice. When I have been ready for it (and sometimes this took a breakdown before I would admit it), her advice has been invaluable to me and Baby Z. More on her later, but for now, let me give her a much-deserved nickname: BWG – Baby Wise Guru or Baby Wise Godmother (whichever you prefer).

So, all of this to say that I hope this blog could someday be a forum where a floundering new Mom can get some help and encouragement about Baby Wise and parent directed feeding. Perhaps I can help connect some Cinderella’s out there with their own Baby Wise Godmothers.

3 comments:

TulipGirl said...

"Where are all the Baby Wise Moms out there? Forced into hiding by La Leche and Dr. Sear’s bulletin boards? Couldn’t we all use a forum for posting our struggles and victories with PD feeding?"

Oh. . . 10 years ago or so (when I first used BW / Prep) Growing Families International hosted a discussion forum on the gfi.org website. It closed with no warning. For a couple of years, those who were both for and against PDF/Ezzo met on common ground (and BW moms found support) at a Parents Place discussion board. That closed down due to lack of activity a few years ago. AwareParent.Net has attempted to replace that as a place for dialogue among parents.

One of the reasons you find less support online that most BW moms would like, is that so many parents who started out with BW/PDF/GKGW later discarded it--for various reasons.

I'm one of those parents. Thought PDF was great with my first. Modified it with my second. Modified it more with my third--and then tossed it out. And with my fourth didn't go anywhere near there. If you are interested, I'm happy to elaborate on why. . .

Suffice to say, I remember looking for PDF support online a decade ago--found minimal support. What you are typing sounds familiar!

The Stringers said...

Ran across your blog while I was looking for a baby wise forum. I have 2 boys, 3yrs and 8mos, both of which were/are baby wise babies. Loved it. I'm always looking for someone to bounce ideas off of.

1stTimmer said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad to have found this site. I have so many questions. I have one huge question.. What do I do when my baby who is 9 weeks old won't stay awake after feeding.. He is bottle feeding and some days he is dead weight after a feeding no matter how hard I try. Any advice??