Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Solid As A...

Now that Baby Z is the big 1 year old, we switched to cow's milk instead of formula. Not only is this the next step in consumption for infants-turned-toddlers, we were hopeful it would help with the big C. Constipation. Poor kid has had it more or less for 6 months or so. Even the switch in formula kind of stopped working after a while. So far, Baby Z has taken to milk without a problem. And I think it's helping with the big C.

Also along the SOLID lines, I've been trying to give Baby Z more solid solids. In the past he has almost immediately gagged when I tried to give him something chunky -- independently chunky, that is, such as a small cube of apple or pear or cheese. He also doesn't like the puffs (the infant ones sold at the grocery store). I could feed him pretty chunky mixes of food like broccoli and kale by the spoon. But one little bite of something solid set that gag reflex a heavin'. The only thing he would feed himself was a teething biscuit. So, genius that I am, after 3-4 months of frustration, I decided to try crunchier textures instead of soft (which I gave him thinking they would be easier to eat). First stop: Cheerios (or the generic organic brand anyway- sorry Baby Z). Eureka!! He likes it, Mikey! (Oh, that's the other cereal) He did have a gag-vomit on his first sitting, but now he's gotten to be a pro after 4 days of trying. I can't tell you how much this breakthrough means to me.

Since the Cheerios, I've tried toast, cooked potatoes, roasted chicken, apple. The apple was a gag-giver again-- he actually made a face as soon as he touched it. So we'll try that one again a little later. Anyway, I'm hugely encouraged that Baby Z won't be eating pureed food at his prom.

Making this transition from eating his own soft baby food to sharing food from the family meal is huge. The change is as big a deal for me as it is for Baby Z. Once again I feel overwhelmed by the change, but after some hints of progress, I'm up for the challenge.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I read this post while I was eating my cereal. Thanks for all the visuals. :) Glad things are progressing.