Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Baby Proofing - The Results Show

A while back I wrote an entry about baby proofing-- what to safety-fy and what not...

Now that Baby Z is considerably more mobile, I have learned more about baby proofing than you can read in a book. (Although I certainly have much more to learn, I'm sure.) But perhaps some new Mom out there will learn from a little of my experience.

So, there were the obvious dangers I easily wrangled:
Safety gate to keep baby out of laundry room with dangerous cleaning supplies. Blind cord cleat to keep cord out of baby hands and away from his neck.

Then I discovered the not so obvious dangers - the tag behind the refrigerator that flutters so temptingly (yes- the one that reads "Danger of Electric Shock!"):


Then the danger if things happen just right-- and Baby Z plays with the curtains until the rod falls down?:


And then...the, oops-I-didn't-think-of-that-I'm-glad-it-didn't-seriously-injure-him danger:
Baby Z swung the blinds sideways and it swung back and hit him in the cheek. So now I keep the blinds raised above where he can reach.

As always, the best child proofing is supervision. And I'm happy to say I've developed the Mommy ears that can hear Baby Z even thinking about touching the fireplace, or TV stand, or whatever...

No comments: