Monday, July 16, 2007

Baby Proving

Since Baby Z seems to be on the verge of crawling very soon, I've decided to deem this week Child Safety Week. I see now how all the Expecting Parents books tell you to baby proof before the baby comes. The responsibility and excitement that hits you while waiting for the baby is probably enough to make you perform such a tedious task. I have been putting off the child proofing since my first coherent thought of it after Baby Z was born (probably when he was 8 weeks or so). Maybe it's because it seems so all-encompassing and overwhelming. Maybe it's because it will most likely involve a screwdriver. Or maybe it's because plastic locks on cabinet handles and such are really not aesthetically appealing.

Anyway, the time has come. I have no social engagements this week and the other special projects are more tedious than baby-proofing (disaster preparedness- yawn). This will be a good opportunity to think about how I want to teach Baby Z in his ever-expanding world. TV Remote? Fireplace? Cords behind the TV? A good friend gave me the advice to pick 2 or 3 things I want to vigorously and consistently enforce. Then, focus on those things in the beginning (of course, preventing any danger with other things) to teach Baby Z the concept that he is not allowed to touch everything. This seems like wise advice to me. It is much more doable for both me and Baby Z and helps me to think about the real priorities for setting limits.

The current candidates for off-limits areas for Baby Z are the fireplace and perhaps the entertainment center (er, more like a TV stand). Then there's the kitchen. Hmm... gotta think that through. In the meantime, I know I need to move all the cleaning products and anything chemical out from under there. I'll put a lock on it also, but I'm not counting on a tiny piece of plastic to keep Baby Z away from anything truly life threatening. And the bathroom-- a lock on the toilet, really? I have heard they don't work that well anyway. Maybe I'll just keep the door shut? The idea of Baby Z crawling around in there makes me rethink how often I clean. Oogie. But I guess I'll get over that, right?

Well, are there any moms out there who want to tell me what worked for them? I'm off to find the screwdriver. Boo.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Well, I can't write what worked for me. But there are those crazies that decide to continue to keep their stuff under the sink and decide to just train their children to not go in there. Too stressful for me. I like your idea about putting a lock on there. Maybe you could do all of it, but move the stuff during the training period. Good luck. I think eventually you will succumb to the fact that all of the other mothers have to--germs are bad...but they won't kill....it is impossible to keep your floors clean 100% of the time...