Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Something to Get Excited About

Yesterday was a new day for me. I decided to be a Mom. I know, I've been a Mom all along. What I mean is, I decided that being a Mom is my full-time job, not getting the laundry done, floor swept, bathroom cleaned, etc. I had noticed that I was letting things slide with Baby Z because I was always in the middle of something. I thought, I'll just catch him the next time he touches that and discipline him right when it happens. Or, oh well, he stopped after I said "no" the third time.

So, in my day of being a Mom (as a first priority), an amazing thing happened. Baby Z and I both had a spectacular day! I was focused and ready to discipline when it was needed. Baby Z was responsive to the discipline and did much better listening to me and stopping when I said no. And Baby Z was happier! I kid you not. There were moments where he looked at me across the room like I was better than cinnamon raisin toast. And I was happier, too. I was patient and didn't get frustrated when I was interrupted. It was more like the dishes were an interruption rather than Baby Z. And, surprisingly, I still got everything done, while not being stressed about it. Now that is something to cheer about!

In this day of good attitudes and focused discipline, a few other exciting things happened. I gave Baby Z a sippy cup with a straw and he went to town. Not only is this good for his speech development, it makes things easier when I forget his sippy cup and we're out. I just get a plastic cup with a straw! Yeah!

And, like I usually do at the end of his meals, I asked Baby Z to say thank you and do the sign in sign language. Yesterday at dinner, I said, "Can you say thank you?" and before I could even show the sign, he popped his hand up to his mouth in a perfectly signed thank you! I was so excited I started cheering and then Baby Z clapped and we laughed. It was awesome!! There are times when I think the things I've been trying to teach Baby Z just go in one ear and out the other (or maybe not even in one ear). Seeing moments of fruition is unbelievably encouraging.

All together, it was a great day being a Mom. Yeah!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

that is very exciting! hopefully he will show off a little bit on saturday.