Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Marching to a Different Beat

Baby Z and I started a toddler music class today. You know-- lots of Moms and kids dancing around in a circle with colorful tambourines or scarves. I signed us up because Baby Z really loves music. When he hears it, he dances. When he doesn't hear it, he points to the location of the stereo and dances. He already has quite a reportoire of dance moves including the bounce, swinging his arms and upper body back and forth, and my personal favorite, the feet shuffle, which looks like a city boy's version of clogging.

All that to say that I was sure Baby Z would love whatever happened at his new class with music. Well, I think he liked it all right, but he liked a ride-on toddler car that someone brought a lot more. While all the other kids are dancing in the circle, presumably having the time of their little lives, Baby Z is sitting in the car, pushing the stick-on console buttons and pretending to turn the key in the ignition. There are two things I learned from this experience: 1. I am growing as a Mom; 2. my son is a lot like my husband.

First, I'm growing as a Mom because I only barely had the urge to force my child to conform to the dancing circle norm. I thought briefly about whether we were offending the teacher or whether other Mom's would think I was the one with the rowdy kid. But, praise God, I quickly remembered our goal was to get out of the house, try something new and have fun. Check. Check. Check. Mission accomplished. So, Baby Z had a great time! (And the teacher asked the owner of the push car to leave it outside next week. Fair enough.)

Second, seeing my son wander off to explore something interesting, not caring a fig what others are doing, was like looking at a mini John. Friends joke that John has ADD; in reality, he's a Seven (see Enneagram personality types). He's the Adventurer, who loves to try new things and has a hard time committing to one thing. Although I'm wary to project either of our personality types on Baby Z, I can't help but notice strong similarities. When I see me (Five, the Observer, by the way), I think, Okay, I'll be able to understand and help a 5 Baby Z. When I see John, I think, Oh no, he's going to get in so much trouble in school. I know. I'm not being fair. Everyone has so many different facets to their personality and there are a lot of fantastic things about 7's (Auntie S knows). And John will be able to understand and help a 7 Baby Z.

Anyway, if I've learned anything as a Mom, it's that your child will not always do or be what you expect. So, I'll just have to wait and see who Baby Z is and enjoy getting to know him better as we go along. As for music class, we'll go again next week and see what else Baby Z explores. (Hopefully not another Mom's purse.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.