Monday, December 22, 2008

Encouragement

It's been a rough couple of weeks with the developmental evaluation (and aftermath) and then Z getting a bad cold. He was very clingy and needy for many days. It brought out the nurturer in me for the first couple days, but then I just got really tired of it. On top of the cold, Z started another round of fit-throwing. It was so discouraging to be back working on tantrums again. I know that it's not like they get "cured" one day of a bad behavior, but we hadn't had it too bad since the first struggle when Z was 18 months. Anyway, I couldn't help but link some of his communication frustration with the tantrums, so that made it even harder [to think that he was (we were) struggling because of the speech delay].

However, as it goes with parenting (and life in general), the rough period has smoothed out a little and I'm feeling hopeful again. Z started to feel better and our discipline of the tantrums started to show some fruit. We started using time-outs more regularly and I was so surprised to see Z understand and accept them quickly. I'll do another post on that, but the bottom line is that things are going better. We've had a few really fun outings and visits where Z was his most charming self. It was so much fun to see other people enjoy him and remember all the really wonderful gifts that Z has. It's so easy to lose perspective and see only the negative behavior. This makes me remember another reason to blog-- writing down the good stuff will help me hang on to hope when we hit another tough time.

1 comment:

Madelyn said...

I'll be thinking of you and will pray for little Z. Bless his heart. All will be well. Your boy is so precious and is God's gift to you. How wonderful that God gave you to little Z for he knew you would be the best!