Saturday, June 6, 2009

Newborn Routine - 16 weeks

Here's an update on Harper's Routine.
Feeding Times:
Every three hours starting at 7am: 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10:30pm.
Harper dropped the first middle of the night feeding around 6 weeks and I pushed her to drop the second middle of the night feeding at 12 weeks. She still wakes up early on some days (around 6:30am or so). When she does, I usually just feed her (for now anyway) and adjust the next couple of feedings by 15 minutes or so to get her back to the usual feeding times.

Awake Times: Harper stays awake for an hour to an hour and a half (including the feeding time). I find she is able to stay up longer (1 1/2 hours or even a little more, although I don't let her go that long if I can help it) after the 7am feeding and after the 4pm feeding.
Activities: The second child gets a lot less interaction with Mom, that's for sure. Harper does a lot of sitting in her chair and watching. I try to get her on the play mate (back and tummy) once a day, but not as often as I would like because I have to sit by her and watch the Z factor.

Nap Times: Harper sleeps about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If we're at home and she's in her bed, she'll sleep really well and I usually have to wake her up for the next feeding. She does wake up mid-way (45-minute intruder) through the nap pretty often. She'll cry for 5-10 minutes and then go back to sleep. When she sleeps in her car seat, it is a lot harder to get her to go back to sleep when she wakes up in the middle of her nap. She's pretty good-natured about it (unlike Z was), but when that happens, I sometimes feed her a little early (15 minutes) and put her down early for the next nap.
Going to sleep: I have been using the pacifier with Harper which puts her out really quickly. She would rarely cry, and if she did it was 5 minutes at the most. I told myself I wouldn't go past 3 months with the pacifier with Baby Number Two to avoid Pacifier Addiction, but here I am almost to four months. I was struggling about continuing to use it but now I'm noticing she is getting her hands to her mouth more readily and seems to want them instead of the pacifier. So, I'm going to try to go with that when I can, and when it's too hard (lots of crying), I'll probably go back to the pacifier. Most importantly, I'm watching my own compulsion to put the pacifier in; I'm trying to watch and wait rather than going for the easy "plug."

Next transition in the routine: I'm watching for signs that Harper can go to the 4-hour feeding interval. Baby Wise says to watch for when you're waking baby up for every feeding. It says this typically happens between 3 and 4 months of age. She is able to stay up longer and longer now. For a 4-hour schedule, she should be able to stay up an hour and a half pretty easily. Also, I'm waiting to see when she appears less fervent about the feeding, kind of like I saw before I pushed her to drop the last middle of the night feeding. I would also like to see her more consistently wake up at 7am, although that is not a must. I think she'll be ready pretty soon, but I'm not in a rush. Just watching and waiting. Although, in the back of my mind I remember that when I switched Z to a 4-hour feeding schedule that I felt a dramatic sense of relief and freedom. So, perhaps that will motivate me to make the change pretty soon here.

No comments: