Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Our Routine: Two Kids - Checkup

Now that we've been doing the two kid thing for a little over three months, I thought I would do a checkup on our routine and see what has changed. The biggest thing is that Harper is awake for longer periods of time. This means I have more time with both kids together now. Harper spends a lot of time in her chair watching, but I figure watching me and Z play is just as good an activity as other things for her.  Also, I pretty much let Z watch TV whenever I feed Harper.  Since she only eats for 15-30 minutes, this is a good time limit for TV.  I try to save the TV watching just for that time (although I admit I'm not always succeeding at that).  Although TV isn't ideal, I'm trying to relax and not worry about it.  It will become less frequent as we are able to get out more as Harper gets bigger.
Some changes I would still like to make are giving Z more alone play time and more structured play time.  A friend referred me to a good website, Productive Parenting, for ideas for activities.  I'm going to start working on some with Z to help him improve his attention span and stay focused on things for longer.  For now, I can get him to stick with something on his own for about 5-10 minutes.  I'd like this to be closer to 15 minutes.

The changes since the last time I posted our routine are in red.
TimeHarperZMom
7amWake Up, Feeding, "Play" in chair in bathroom while I'm in the showerStill asleep, or still playing in bedFeeding (about 15 minutes), Take shower
8amAwake Time; usually in seat while we're getting breakfastWake Up & BreakfastGet Breakfast for Z 
8:30 - 9:00amNap (On days we have to leave at 8:45, I'll put her to sleep in her car seat)Breakfast cont'd, Some Television, Getting DressedPut Harper to bed, Get Breakfast, Get Ready.
8:45 or 9amMove to Car SeatGet in CarGet Kids in Car (When we have to be somewhere, approx. 3-4 times per week.).
10am - 10:20amFeedingPlay. Good time for private play time. Or, I'm going to set him up with coloring or read books with him.
Z watches TV.
Feeding
10:30-11:15amAwake time; Mon & Wed -bath time; Tues- awake in car seat at grocery store
Thurs: out on errands or at park
Frid: Playmat, tummy time, bath
Mon: Playtime outside with Mom & Harper (in baby carrier)
Or, watches while I give Harper a bath
Tues: Grocery store
Wed: With babysitter outside or at park
Thurs: park, outside, errands
Mon, Thurs: Playtime with Z (outside when possible)
Wed: Housework
Frid: Housework & play with Harper
11:30Nap in car seat; often transfer her to bed when we get home
Or nap at home
Outside or grocery store/errands;
Bath at home couple times a week
Grocery store/errands
or home with kid(s)
12pmStill NappingClean up and Lunch
Playtime with Mom
Lunch & Play with Z
1pmFeedingAlone playtime or TVFeeding
1:30-2:00pmSit with Z and meRead books then go to bed for napPut Z down for nap and then Harper
2:00pm-4pmA little more awake time just with Mom; Nap by 2:30pmNapNap (aahhh.... God shines his goodness on me!) Still napping, but not as long. Try to get 30-45 minutes.
3:30pm - do 10 minute Pilates video 3 times a week and check email or read the other two days, Prep for dinner (cut up things, get ingredients measured)
4pmFeedingGet up & Snack. If Z isn't out of his room by 4pm, he plays in there while I'm feeding Harper. Usually he's up and eats his snack and then watches TV while I feed Harper.  This is one feeding where sometimes he'll play and we won't turn the TV on.Feeding & Snack
4:30pm - 5:30pmOutside in carrier with MomPlay outside with Mom & HarperOutside
5:30pm-6pmNapAlone Play timePlay with Z until have to get dinner ready
6/6:30pmNapDinnerDinner and then clean up
7pmFeedingPlaytime with DadFeeding
7:45pmSit with us for storytime before Z goes to bedGet ready for bed and storytimeStorytime
8/8:15pm - 10pmNapBedClean up, Change into PJs, Watch TV with John
10:30pmFeedingBedFeeding
10:45/11pmBedBedBed

No comments: