Friday, November 20, 2009

Re-Training - Crying It Out Again

With the recent sicknesses, and even previously with a growth spurt and teething, Harper has started waking up at night. I could kick myself but I started feeding her! Gah! It was a good call to do it the first few times because I did think it might be a growth spurt, but after that, I should have known! That's a downside of breastfeeding this long: it is way too easy to whip it out in the middle of the night instead of simply comforting.
Anyway, mistakes aside, we're finally through the sickness (Harper's) and mental fog (mine) and I can see clearly now how she doesn't need the feeding. It has even started to affect her eating during the day. She is not eating very much of the solid food because she's getting the extra calories at night.
It is time to begin Crying It Out. Ugh. I thought I was through it. But here we go again. Harper's back in the pack-n-play in the living room (where she's been for a while, actually, because of the sick waking up at night- both Z and Harper). I'm trying to focus on this as a spiral of re-training. I am not back at the beginning. We are just revisiting. This happens a lot with kids, right? - having to learn and learn again.

Night One:
2:30am. 45 minutes on the dot. Hm.. one full sleep cycle. Interesting. I listened to Fernando Ortega turned up too high on my iPod. John had to use ear plugs. But we made it. Her crying was a little off and on until the end when it got more persistent. Those 9 month olds know what's up and she wasn't too happy about it.

Night Two:
Hallelujah! 12:30am. 5 minutes of crying and then she didn't wake up again until the morning. Another praise was Z didn't wake up that night either. Yeah! Six consecutive hours of sleep!

Night Three:
Another small wakeup for just a few minutes. Yeah!

I'm going to take a moment of self-congratulation and just say that I think my hard work in training Harper up until this point allowed her to more quickly get back on track with sleeping through the night. Sometimes it's hard to see the result of the work I do each day, so I'm thankful for this very tangible success. Also, it reminds me how quickly things can change and just when you think a particular struggle isn't going to end, it does. Hm. That sounds familiar. I guess I needed a little re-training too.

No comments: