Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Lose the Battle, Win the War

24 Hours into Operation Sippy Cup. There have been casualties:



Baby Z may have won this skirmish, but I'm confident my strategy will win in the long run. I'm pleased I've held my ground and have not touched a bottle since we started yesterday. I'm also pleased that Baby Z is not in any way dehydrated and has eaten very healthily to make up for lost milk calories. So, we can go on like this for a while. Today at breakfast he actually opened his mouth for the sippy cup, which is huge progress from yesterday when the only liquid consumed was dripped into Baby Z's screaming mouth.

There have been a few compromises and adjustments. I am only trying to get him to drink from the sippy cup, not hold it himself yet. That can be phase 2. I also suckered myself into buying more sippy cups. (I already have 4 different kinds I have tried in the past, thinking maybe THIS one he will like.) The ones I bought are the cheap disposable kind with a ridged side that's easy to grab, instead of handles (which only give Baby Z more leverage with which to throw). I am rationalizing that I was going to need more sippy cups anyway, because I've been washing the same sippy cup to use for every feeding, and that wasn't going to work.

Score one for Mommy because Baby Z started holding the new cups and chewing on them in the store. And he willingly drank some juice from it when we got home. It also has the added benefit of not dripping as easily as the other one I've been using, but it's cheapness/flimsiness makes it very easy for Baby Z to pull liquid out of. Yippee! Not that products are ever really the answer to your problems (that illusive holy grail of baby bottles that prevents spit up - ha!), but, heck, if it helps the tiniest bit, All Hail Capitalism!

More from Routine Mom soon, encamped at undisclosed location for Operation Sippy Cup.

1 comment:

Oh, Cripe! said...

Best of luck to you, Patton. Walk tall and keep us posted on progress!