Monday, December 17, 2007

Sicky Poo

Baby Z is in the middle of his 3rd cold in his life. I know we are very blessed with a healthy child and these colds are good for him to build his immune system....

But they suck.

Baby Z really doesn't feel that bad most the time (it appears, he hasn't actually told me), but it just makes every finicky thing that much harder. Lunch time-- always more difficult than the other meals-- but when he's sick. Wow. My broccoli, zucchini, scrambled egg eater? The one who was starting to really like the same food Mommy and Daddy eat? Gone. Of course when you're sick you want comfort food. So I'm trying to work with him and try different things he might like. But a person should only eat so much yogurt, don't you think?

Besides eating, sleeping also becomes a problem. You know how it is to try to sleep with a stuffed-up nose. At least we can take some NiQuil (or hard liquor, whatever works for you, I'm just saying...) and it knocks us out. The vast pharmaceutical industry only has this to offer our little ones under the age of 2: Vick's Vapor Rub. At least there's something we can offer. Because the worst thing about your baby being sick is the feeling of helplessness-- that you want to make them all better and you can't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would a humidifier help him at night? It helps my little guy when he has colds.

Michelle said...

Tell Z that I sympathize. I don't really feel comfortable taking anything for my cold. At least he gets the rub!