Monday, March 31, 2008

Who Says "High Five" Isn't a Milestone?

Somewhere after a year, when the baby book ends, it's easy to stop noting the things that change in your baby. Once Baby Z started walking, I felt like there wasn't much more to watch for as far as milestones go. But when I think about it, I can see how quickly he is growing and learning now. So, I thought I would use this as my virtual baby book.

* Baby Z uses Dada and Mama proficiently now. He also says duggy-diggy for dog. And Aaah Da for all done. There is also something like Ahpun for open.
* Baby Z loves things he can open and close like doors and gates.
* When he hears music, he'll bounce a little and clap his hands. I also taught him to swing his arms side to side to dance.
* Baby Z helps me around the house by shutting drawers or cabinets I've left open. When we're getting ready to leave the house, he walks back to the container that holds our keys and looks at me as if saying, "Did you remember your keys, Mom?" Recently, when I had planned to go to the park with him, he also walked over to the chair where I stack our library books and touched the books. Then I remembered that, yes, Baby Z, the library books are due today!
* Baby Z is pretty affectionate, although I wouldn't call him a cuddler. He does his thing and then comes back to me occasionally and gives my leg a hug. He rests his head against my hip or butt and pats my leg. He does this head laying and pat-pat with anyone he loves, especially my Mom's dog.


* As for sign language, Baby Z knows: all done, more, food, milk, please and thank you (although these rarely get used). He made up his own sign for washing hands (looks like washing your hands - he's a genius! hee). And recently he started doing "no." Thankfully he only does that after I say no to something and he walks away and does the no sign. Sometimes he does other signs I used to do when he was younger, like bird and dog. It shocks me that he remembers these things from how many months ago.
* Baby Z can point to his hair when asked. If you ask him where his nose is, he also points to his hair. :)
* His Uncle R taught him High Five, and Baby Z still thinks it's funny. Baby Z has the wave down, too, although it is often late (after we're several seconds past the person to whom he's waving) and very often backwards (facing himself).

I'm pretty proud of my little guy. He really is turning into a little boy. But I still sing Rock-A-Bye Baby.

No comments: