Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Garden Brunch Shower

The baby shower for Auntie J was a HUGE success! The decorations turned out as cute as I had imagined and all the Aunties brought along excellent, yummy food. Auntie J got showered and showered with gifts and love. Here are some pictures:

Set up, with Baby Z a little grumpy about all the unusual activity. John whisked him away shortly after this:

I pasted paper butterflies and birds on the paper lanterns (big and small) and we hung those from the patio cover. For tables, I covered cardboard boxes with white paper and then a pretty colored paper on top like a kind of tablecloth (you can see one in the distance in the second picture). Then, we hung a clothesline of cute onesies on the far end of the patio above what became the gift table. All of these things in fresh shades of green, blue and chocolate brown.


The game was a Name that Baby Tune kind of game, where I played a montage of 11 children's songs. Not only did they have to identify the song, they had to remember them. They couldn't start writing the songs down until the music had stopped. I tried this at another shower and it was perhaps a bit too challenging, so this time I cut down the number of songs. However, I'm proud to say that it is probably the hardest baby shower game ever! Wahahaa!

Besides the game, all the ladies gave great advice while Auntie J opened their present (this was Auntie J's idea, which if you knew her you wouldn't be the least surprised at that). The ladies also wrote in a little journal for J to have and continue her own thoughts on being a Mommy.

Afterwards, a whirlwind of ladies helped with clean up and the whole thing was disassembled in about 30 minutes. It was an amazing show of female harmony and teamwork. Someone commented on how women just know what needs to get done and handle it. By the time I got back inside, my kitchen was even cleaner than when we started the day!

So, all in all, it was so much fun and I had such a good time doing it all. I'll write more later about the awesome womanly fellowship that continued after the shower.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

looks like it was a lot of fun!

WeLoveKaren said...

How are you all doing/feeling? Great news on a little girl--congrats! I love your days of the week poem below. Hope to see you again in the next few months.
Love, kp

Oh, Cripe! said...

So glad you had fun! Auntie J is a wonderful Auntie and will be a wonderful Mama! Hugs to you, D - the day looked beautiful and I'm sure will be remembered forever!