Monday, November 17, 2008

The Crabbies

If you ask my husband about my last pregnancy, one of the first things he would probably mention is my mood. Let's just say it transgressed easily into temper and aggression. Oh yeah, and then there was the irrational stubbornness, emotional frustration and complete lack of self-control when tired or hungry.
IT'S BA-ACK!

I've had more moments lately of temper and frustration. It's usually when I'm tired, but I seem to be tiring more easily now. And, sometime it's the smallest thing that pushes me over the edge, like, a shirt that rubs me the wrong way (and has been doing it all day), or a hair that keeps tickling my forehead. I lose my patience with Baby Z and then I take it all out on John. Where did that second trimester energy and euphoria go?

So, one thing I've instituted lately is having one hour per weekend for myself away from the house. John has always been great about giving me any time I need, but I realized that I have a hard time asking for it. I never thought I would struggle with that, but I do hesitate asking if I have recently asked for John's help a lot. As if there is a quota and I only get so much time per week? I know it's silly, but I can't deny I feel it. The one hour a weekend is a way for me to always have the time and not have to ask. We have only done one weekend so far, but it felt really good. I looked forward to it and really appreciated the time. We were flexible about when I took it; Saturday got too busy so I went Sunday afternoon. Some weekends it might not work out, but at least both John and I will make it a priority.

Did I come back from my time away with a shining new attitude to serve my family? Unfortunately, no. Sad to say, I let the crabbiness bubble up to the surface. Perhaps the next weekend I will spend some time praying and thinking about the wonderful gifts in my life. My one hour weekend time isn't a cure all, but, used the right way, I hope it will help a little.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I struggle with temper/patience too. It's so hard when you have a 3 year old saying/begging/asking the same thing over & over & over. I like the idea of having time away (did that today at the dentist...LOL). BUT - why do I end up feeling a little guilty about time away the rare times I've actually done it? Anyhow...great posting, thanks!
-Mrs PJ

Unknown said...

i can only imagine....i am sorry you are struggling with this. i will pray for you. let me know when you have an extra hour for coffee. :)