Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sleep: Yeah! Bottle: Boo

Last night Harper dropped the late night feeding without any special help from me. Even though I vowed to let her cry for the past few days, she only woke up at the 3/3:30am time which is when I wanted her to wake up. Then she was waking up around 6:30am, close enough to our 7am wake up time that I just used the pacifier and rocked her a little to get her as close as I could to 7am. Then, today, for the first time, I woke up when she did (6:55am) and fed her right away! I'm so thankful we've reached this milestone and I'm even more thankful I didn't have to push too hard to get there. Praise God! It's amazing what 5 hours of continuous sleep can do.

On the down side, it appears Harper is rejecting the bottle. She just started getting really finicky about it and last night she firmly let us know that she was not happy about the bottle. She really doesn't cry much and last night every time we tried with the bottle she gave us her loudest protest to date and looked downright angry! Just to be sure it wasn't gas, I offered her the breast and, lo and behold, she had no problems with that. Doh!

So everything I've read about this problem says to just keep at it. Have someone besides me offer the bottle. Don't give in and feed with the breast (okay, okay, I know). Urgh. It's tough to keep at it for the 7pm feeding when we're also trying to get Z in bed. And then she doesn't eat enough so she doesn't sleep well from 8pm to 10pm. This seriously impedes John and my down-time at night. Sigh. But, again, we have to sacrifice the now for the good of the later. I can't imagine life without being able to give Harper a bottle. That is not even an option.

I'm thankful for God's timing on this that I'm getting a little more sleep so I'm better able to cope with a setback like bottle rejection. Gotta just hang in there!

No comments: