Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Evolution of A Room

How do you fit two kids in one room? Can you have two kids in a two bedroom house? Am I going to go crazy?
Storage. Yes. Not sure yet.

So far those are the answers to those questions I had when we first knew we would be having two kids. I obsessed about organization and storage in the early months of pregnancy and found some fine solutions for fitting extra storage into one room. This weekend, we finally finished setting up for Harper to share a room with Z. She has not yet slept in the bed yet but at least we're ready for it (physically, not necessarily mentally).

Here's how the transition went. We moved the big bookcase (filled with John and my books) into our bedroom and moved a little bookcase into the kids room. This will give extra space for the kids' books and toys. Getting the toys and crates off of the floor made room for Harper's crib.

Old Room (Z only)



New Room (Z and Harper)




Extra Storage
Storage, storage, storage. This is key.



I added a door-hanging organizer on the back of the door to contain all of those little toys and stuffed animals. I also added organizers in the closet for socks, shoes, hats, etc. The crates below in the closet are for clothes, books and toys (I hide some away in here to keep the clutter down and have some "new" toys to cycle through). One of the hardest things to manage is all of the baby clothes. Especially in the first year, the amount of clothes babies go through is phenomenal. About every 2-3 months, I try to sort through Harper's clothes and put the outgrown ones away and pull the new clothes out. That's what those gift bags (outgrown) and one of the crates (new) contain. I have a gift bag ready to go somewhere (giveaway or hand-me-down) and I just fill it up until it's full, then pass it along.

The next step is to have Harper actually sleep in the room with Z. Z is SO excited about it, but I'm waiting as long as I can. You can be sure I'll be posting when we make that change. :)

No comments: