Thursday, July 23, 2009

Next Step. Check.

I mentioned previously that the switch to a four hour feeding schedule was the next step for Harper. Unlike what I did with Z, I decided to drop the dream feed first with good result. Here we are only a few weeks later and I could tell Harper was getting close to the next step. My combination 3 1/2 to 4 hour schedule started to get more compacted toward the end of the day. I was having a hard time fitting in that last 8:30pm feeding because Harper was going longer and longer. Also, the 5:30pm feeding started to feel a little light- like she wasn't really that hungry; and that was when I was squeezing feedings a little closer together to fit them all in.

So here's a big difference between Babywise child number 1 and child number 2. With Z, I plotted and planned for weeks before switching his routine. I very carefully picked a mellow time when we would be home a lot to do it and prepared myself for the worst (lots of screaming). I was figuring I would do the same with Harper, but then yesterday I just decided to let her sleep and see if she made it. Worse case scenario was I would feed her a little late at the end of the day- maybe 9:30 or 10pm.

Just like that, Harper switched to four hours. We've had three days and two nights now and it's been going really well. The first night Harper woke up a little, but probably about what she usually does. I think I was just extra alert expecting something. She has even done well with a busy day and several naps in her car seat. I keep her up a little longer (closer to two hours) and she seems to go down to sleep a little easier because of it. She also sleeps harder and I haven't had a problem with her waking up early. And, when she eats, she eats really well. Yeah!

It's nice to feel more easy-going and confident about these transitions this time around. Seeing the big picture of where we're headed, and knowing that one nap, one feeding, one day wasn't going to ruin everything makes things easier. I should state, for the record, that Z changed to a four hour feeding schedule without any problems. It was really me who was full of anxiety about it. So, my lesson for today is that sometimes change is easy and maybe I shouldn't always expect the worst.

No comments: