Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Two Kids One Room

With BNT on the way, we are thinking through our sleeping arrangements. We have a two-bedroom home, so Baby Z and BNT are going to share a bedroom. It's not a very big room, so I did some research on beds and cribs this weekend. Here's the scoop:
  • we can fit one portable crib (41in H x 26in W x 40in L) and one regular crib (44in H x 30in W x 58in L) without removing any of the current furniture
  • we can fit one regular crib and one toddler bed (30in H x 28in W x 57in L) but have to remove a rocking chair and little reading table
  • we can fit one toddler bed and one twin bed (14in H x 41in W x 77in L) but have to remove a rocking chair, little reading table and the dresser/changing table (we could fit a smaller one)

The plan for now is to get a portable crib for BNT. That way, I can wheel him/her around the house depending on what rooms are in use. My bedroom for naps during the day, living room during the night. Although separating a crying baby from Baby Z by a small hallway and a door is probably not going to make a huge difference, at least I won't have to go into the room and look into Baby Z's crying, sleepy eyes when BNT wakes up. People tell me that toddlers get used to the new noise and eventually don't wake up (can anyone substantiate this claim?).

Then in the first 6 months or so after BNT is born, we'll see when Baby Z (who we'll need to call Big Boy Z at that point) is ready for the toddler bed. I'm thinking we'll wait and see when he starts climbing out of the crib (I can't believe he hasn't figured it out yet!). Around that time, if BNT is sleeping sufficiently at night, we'll pop him/her in the crib right next to Big Brother Z's bed. We're good in that arrangement for up to 2 years, I think. Then, we could move on to a twin and a toddler bed or possibly even a bunk bed situation. Wow! It's crazy to think of having a 4 year-old and a 2 year-old. One step at a time, one step at a time.

Now you all have insight into the workings of my relentless planning mind. Once I figured all of this out I had a huge sense of ease and acceptance of BNT and the upcoming change to our family. Now, in a week and a half (October 1st!), we'll find out hopefully if BNT is he or she. How fun!

2 comments:

kristi said...

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing who BNT is :) My advice? Make sure your portable crib can fit thru the doorways. If you're going to try and wheel it around while it's all set up that is. I figured I'd do the same with my little people at some point and ooops! it was an inch too big and I had to fold and unfold every time it left the room :)

I wish you well!! Kristi Gregg

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on BNT! I stumbled upon your blog this evening after doing a web search titled 'infant waking 45 min into nap'. A hour before that I had been reading about the 45 min intruder in Babywise. I can't believe how much I can relate to your adventures in mommyhood! My daughter who is 2, (she never had the dreadful intruder)and my son who is almost 5months share a room with a crib and a toddler bed. We used a very portable co-sleeper for the first 3 months before transitioning into the crib. For the most part it has been great. My daughter now asks to have her baby brother in the room whenever she goes to sleep. As for toddlers getting used to the crying, that has definetly been true for us! Big sis has never once been awakend by the baby crying. (I've even seen her sleep with him wailing right next to her in the car!) She has however, caused him to wake up because she got up in the middle of the night and didn't want to go back to bed. Best of luck to you!