Thursday, May 3, 2007

Say My Name, Say My Name

Growing up, I remember my Dad calling me pumpkin. I loved it. I think my Mom and Dad probably also called me sweetie or something like that, but I mostly remember pumpkin. Now, with a son of my own, I imagine that my parents had many more nicknames that fell by the wayside as I got older. I have already cycled through six or eight terms of endearment for Baby Z, and now, after 5 months, I’m noticing the ones that stick. From the womb, John and I started calling him The Dude. That one remains. In fact, that is how John and I often refer to Baby Z when talking to each other. As far as the names I use when speaking to Baby Z, at first it was Bean, Sugar Bean, Butter Bean, then Booger Bean. Then Booger. Then Boog. Boog stuck. I had moments of awareness that Booger isn’t the nicest of nicknames, but I couldn’t stop the evolution. It just rolls off the tongue- over and over again. At least it isn’t a variation of Poop. ☺

Nicknames and Pet Names are used for those with whom you have an intimacy. Obviously this applies to that person who is attached to your breast for hours every day and depends on you for everything. I wonder which name will stick long enough in Baby Z’s life for him to remember it when he’s older. At what point will he no longer be “Boog” to me? Or, at what point will he no longer like to be “Boog” to me? Sigh. For now, I hope that’s a long way off.

No comments: