Thursday, May 24, 2007

Batten Down the Hatches

48 hours since giving up the Pacifier.
It's been a long day.

Baby Z had his 6-month checkup today, including the nefarious vaccinations. The last time he got them he didn't seem that affected, so I thought today would go pretty smoothly. He was quite the little trooper after getting the shots, and slept well after that, but the rest of the day, he's been really fussy and hasn't slept well at all. I have to admit I gave in and gave him the pacifier for a little bit. It seemed to comfort him but then he spit it out, so I didn't put it back in. It wasn't really making a difference as far as getting him to sleep. I'm going to choose to interpret that as a sign we are knocking the addiction.
So, we fell off the wagon, but we are back on now. I'm considering a Pacifier Policy that allows for its use only in extreme emergencies, such as screaming in public when I can't make a quick exit, sleeping at other people's houses, etc. Such a policy would certainly have a clause for crankiness due to illness or vaccinations.

Anyway, since Baby Z hardly got any sleep this afternoon and evening, I'm considering not waking him up at 11pm. Of course, I don't have the Pacifier to help him through the dropped feeding, but I'm thinking I'll have to let him cry either way- 1. when putting him down after 11pm feeding, or 2. when he wakes up expecting the 11pm feeding. I'm leaning towards the all or nothing philosopy-- might as well suck it up and get it all over with.

It's 10:31pm. I have 29 minutes to decide.

No comments: