Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Swirling Results

Now for the results....to Swirling Problems

Results Phase One (Working on the Evening Nap and Sleeping Through the Night):
I kept Baby Z up until 6:30pm and then put him down for the evening nap. Just when I was wondering if "cat nap" meant 45 minutes or an hour, Baby Z woke up (at 45 minutes). I decided to term this 45-minute intruder the cat nap and claim a small victory. After feeding and a little awake time, I put Baby Z to bed at 8:30pm. Move ahead to Phase One, Part 2.

Results Phase One, Part 2 (Recovering from Relapse in Pacifier Addiction):
I put Baby Z to bed at 8:30pm without the pacifier. Whereas in the past, I could sometimes get away with this without much crying, Baby Z seemed to detect that I had admitted him to Rehab. He cried for 15 minutes pretty persistently (the I'm-not-happy-about-this cry) and then another 5 minutes of intermittent (the Wait-No-I'm-not-really-sleeping-yet cry).
I then considered jumping to Phase 3 (dropping the 11pm feeding), just so I wouldn't have to wake him up and put him to sleep again without the Pacifier. I decided I couldn't do it, though, while pursuing Phase One, Part 2, which might involve listening to him cry at night. If I have the tiniest doubt that he could be hungry, I tend to cave in during the wee hours of the morning.
So, Baby Z went back to bed after the 11pm feeding, and I curled up in the fetal position with my head in John's lap until Baby Z stopped crying (about 15 minutes again). After that, I went to bed with earplugs near at hand... and....
I woke up this morning at 7:15am! I didn't hear a peep all night!!! This has renewed my resolve and encouraged me to no end! One day at a time...Pacifier Free.

Preliminary Results Phase Two (Giving up Pacifier Addiction during daytime naps):
When I was writing my Solutions yesterday, I thought I would give myself a week to get used to Night-time sans Pacifier. This morning, however, I decided to try putting Baby Z down without it. I thought..."Okay, I'll give myself 5 minutes just to see what happens..." and then before I had even looked at the clock to see how much time had passed, he was asleep! But when I usually breakdown is when he wakes up in the middle of his nap. I know that when I give it to him I am reinforcing the very problem we are trying to deal with: Baby Z has learned to associate the pacifier with sleep, especially getting back to sleep. Isn't it during the difficult times that the pull of addiction becomes stronger? Will I be able to do it?
Maybe I should move all the pacifiers to the garage.
And hide the garage door opener.

To be continued...

No comments: