Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday, Funday

When I worked an office job full time, Mondays were always a bummer. It was hard to get up in the morning, hard to get back into the swing of things, hard to gear up for another week.

Now, as a full time Mom, I actually really enjoy Mondays. As much fun as the weekends are, by Sunday night I start to get a little antsy for the return of routine and down time. I usually wake up Monday morning ready to go, with a list of chores for the week in my head and with new energy to tackle housework and time with baby. I must admit that some of it is relief at the return of control: the ability to call the shots and do things the way I like them for most of the day. I like being able to pick up the house and set things in order and have it stay that way for a while. I like being able to take a nap without interruption. I like being able to coast through the day with our routine and not have to explain the special timing of this day to anyone.

On any day, by the time John gets home in the evening, I'm excited to see him and looking forward to some adult conversation. However, the degree of need for this adult interaction gradually increases as each day of the week passes. By Thursday night, I'm looking forward to the weekend again and thinking of all the fun, routine-interrupting activities we will do. But Monday night is a little different. When John gets home on Mondays, my need for him is the smallest, but in some ways my enjoyment of him is the greatest. As the week progresses, I need him more and more as a break from baby. Early on in the week, I need him just for him.

So, a salute to Mondays for Moms. Do some laundry, take a nap, run an errand with the little one(s). Enjoy!

No comments: