Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Subconscious Processing

Well, I didn't think I had too much more to say about going back to work. My subconscious is telling me otherwise. Since making things official, I've had several stress dreams-- of a light variety. They are about exploring something new and getting a surprise: swimming comfortably and then an eel pops out of a rock and comes toward my face; I woke my husband kicking at that one. Or, they are about starting back at something I already do, but feeling a little anxious and not all together prepared: deciding to surf in a contest and so excited I run out into the waves, feeling like I'm missing some good sets only to realize that I don't have my board.

Those who know me know that I tend to have vivid dreams. My husband sometimes thinks I may need psychological attention for them. They almost always give me a good look into how I'm really feeling when on the surface I'm not paying much attention. I tend to need time to process things and really understand how they are affecting me. So, I'm thankful for the little jump starts God gives me in my dreams (by creating a thing such as dreams as a way for the brain to exercise and reveal; not in a "Samuel, Samuel? Yes, Lord" kind of way).

I'm still feeling good about my decision and I'm excited for the new challenge. I know that the first few weeks will be a little tough and then things will settle down. And I know that I should expect some really funky dreams for the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Oh, Cripe! said...

Hi, Dara!

Just wanted to add a quick note for you. When I returned to work two days a week, everyone warned me about the emotions of missing Tyler. But no one warned me about the emotions of working part time. I returned to an environment that I used to be fully involved in and to only be there part time was difficult for me. Projects that I was heading up were taken well care of by my colleagues. For this I was glad but it was a definite adjustment. Especially since everyone thought I was still the point person, coming to me for many things. It was difficult to respond with, "I'd love to help you with that but I'm only here on Tuesdays and Wednesdays." It is better now after a couple months of adjusting to new projects that I am working on. And I truly love our lifestyle which includes keeping my skills sharpened while I also have lots of time to spend with Tyler and Ryan. Just be aware of the adjustment while at work in addition to the adjustment of missing Baby Z while at the office.

Routine Mom said...

Thanks, "oh, cripe!" for the wise words. I'm sure I'll have some of the same feelings. I will give myself (and others) time to adjust to my new role. Repeat after me: "I'd love to help you with that but..."
:)