Thursday, February 5, 2009

Seven Days To Go

I'm feeling better than two days ago. Some days the exhaustion is worse than others and today is a good day. Z has started waking up early and in the middle of naps screaming and crying. I think it is partly his sense of the change coming. This afternoon he is taking a good, long nap and I can't believe how much that helps me. I also can't believe I'm going to be starting the baby thing all over again in just a week.

Something that happened today did give me a boost. I went to visit a group speech therapy program for Z. I've heard very good things about it so I was eager to have a look. They graciously hurried things along because I told them the baby was coming in a week. I really liked the program and Z will be starting really soon. It was a small group with a speech therapist and an assistant. They did lots of different activities, such as free play, circle time with songs, simple crafts and play gym time. And the whole time they are emphasizing words and getting the kids to verbalize while playing. Z was very responsive and the therapist was encouraging that she thought he would respond really well.

The group meets twice a week for an hour and a half. I'll be taking advantage of John being home for three weeks after the baby is born to take him there. A parent does have to stay there for the session (although they aren't actively involved). I realize this is going to be a challenge with a newborn, but I guess the benefit of baby number two is that I know it won't be any easier than it is when they are very little and more mobile. I feel strongly that this is a really good opportunity for Z to grow and learn. We'll work it out. Parents do this with babies and kids in preschool all the time, right? I'm thankful it is only a ten minute drive away. Now I just have to sit down and think through the routine I'm planning for with the two kids. I'll save that for another day.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

love you! glad things are going better.