Friday, January 15, 2010

LIGHT

I've had four days of medication for postpartum depression.

And...

I

Feel

BETTER!!

I can't believe the difference already! I'm so, so thankful to God for giving wisdom to man to figure out things like medication for depression. It reminds me of the line in Joy To The World: "He comes to make His blessings flow, Far as the curse is found."

I started to feel more calm and less agitated pretty quickly. But by the fourth day, I could tell a difference in how I felt and thought. Everything seemed clearer and lighter. I had a long afternoon to find something for the kids to do and I didn't despair about it. I thought of several ideas and we ended up doing them all. Z had a couple of discipline problems, but it didn't even phase me! And, for the first time in a very long time, I really enjoyed spending time with my kids! It was like looking at them with new eyes. You know how when you're away from your child(ren) and you come back and see all their adorable-ness newly and freshly? It was like that- like I was coming back from a long trip away. I noticed it more with Z, who can try the patience of a saint. I watched him play and talk and smile and it filled me up with joy. Overflowing joy!

I can't even describe the relief I feel. I have a sense of well-being and settledness. Praise God!

1 comment:

Whitney Hannah Hill said...

Hey Dara! I stumbled upon your blog tonight - Rachael Seedorf mentioned you recently were dealing with Harper and crying it out...and I was curious what was working/what wasn't, etc. AND I've spent about the past 20 minutes reading. ;) I am dealing with so many of the same things as you - potty training and getting E to stay in his big boy bed, etc. So nice to know you're not alone, huh? I also went on postpartum medication after Elliot - it hit me about the same time as you - when he was about 9 months old. I'm glad you have the insight to realize that it's not something to be ashamed of - it is completely physical and uncontrollable and isn't it wonderful that such a medication exists to get you back on track?!

Anyway - I just wanted to say hi instead of lurking with no comment. ;) Take care! Never get to see you since we're in different mops groups - hope to see you sometime soon.