Monday, January 21, 2008

Back to Baby Things

I mentioned previously that all my friends are getting pregnant at the same time. To be more accurate, most of my friends are getting or will be trying to get pregnant about the same time. John and I are pondering when to start trying for kid #2 also, so I've been thinking about what it will be like to be pregnant again.

The first time we started trying, I started taking prenatal vitamins, cutting back on caffeine, and tried to walk more often than I had been. (The theory was that I had to be used to the exercise so I could keep doing it when I got pregnant - you know how they say don't start any exercising that you haven't already been doing.)

This time, knowing better what I'm getting into (and what I'll have to give up), I'm using the time before I get pregnant to really enjoy some things:
* coffee - I will enjoy my strong espresso in the morning and allow myself the occasional afternoon coffee. Rather than wean myself off, I'm going to take the indulgent approach.
* alcohol - I will have a beer with dinner if I feel like it. I will make my husband be the designated driver so I can have one and a HALF drinks at a party (seriously I'm a major light weight).
* dessert - I will have dessert every night and maybe in the afternoon sometimes. My pregnancy body tends to grab onto fat and store it away a lot more than non-pregnancy body, so last time I had to cut out the dessert.
* sex - I better savor it while I can. And once we pull the goalie, enjoy the carefree-ness. (Don't panic, friends who are trying. Sex during pregnancy is different for everyone. For me, I'm anticipating the post partum phase where sex becomes a chore equal to dusting.)
* sleep - I will be thankful for the ability to sleep on my side/stomach- that perfect angle that will eventually get disturbed by the protruding belly. I will also enjoy the nights I sleep all the way through without getting up to go pee (which still doesn't happen that often for me, but that's okay).
* special athletic activities - I need to schedule as many sessions of surfing, because the fun stops after 3 months of pregnancy. I can add to the list flying trapeze lessons also, because I'm guessing my doctor will put the kibosh on that too. Ba Humbug.

All right, that is probably enough. Sometime soon I'll write on the things about being pregnant that I'm looking forward to (they do exist!)

No comments: