Sunday, January 27, 2008

Martha Stewart Craps

Oh, I mean Martha Stewart Crafts....
But, jeesh, I'm frustrated. I bought this little kit for making a cloth baby book with little iron-on animal decals. It was going to be a precious hand-made gift for a friend having a baby. It is now not good enough to give to my Mom's dog.

First, the instructions were less than clear. It talked all about putting the iron on for 30 seconds and said absolutely nothing about pulling the clear plastic backing off after doing so! So, perhaps this is such an obvious thing that anyone with the remotest crafting ability would have figured it out. My husband apparently has more crafting ability than I. He figured out you were supposed to remove the plastic backing after I commented that the plastic seemed to be coming up and that didn't seem very safe for a baby. (Duh. I know.) But, come on, Martha, cut us mere mortals a break! Give us some detailed instructions!

Besides the minimal instructions, the animals are made up of delicate, adorable parts such as chicken feet, doggy noses, curly pig tales. These were the equivalent of open-heart surgery in the iron-on world. And not a word of advice or admonishment on the instructions, such as "Peel back the plastic backing from the largest area of the animal first, leaving the delicate bits for last..."

Okay, I feel better after venting. For your pity or entertainment, here are the saddest 4 little puppies - one without hind legs and one without a nose. My Mom's dog is a dachsund, which is why I can't even give it to her. Sigh. Maybe I can use it with Baby Z and teach him in a sensitive manner about those who are physically disabled.

No comments: