Wednesday, January 23, 2008

This Is What I've Become

Last night I had a moment of self realization. I was trying to clean up dinner quickly while Baby Z was alternating between getting into things he's not supposed to and grabbing onto my pant legs so I will help him walk. (John was still at work.) While I was getting something from the cupboard, a box of Raisin Bran fell out onto the floor. Baby Z was immediately interested and I was happy to let him play to get my work done.

I was washing dishes in the sink with my back turned to Baby Z and I heard the unmistakable sound of cereal pouring onto the floor. When I turned, Baby Z was sitting there with a satisfied grin and raisin bran all around him. I calmly turned off the faucet, dried my hands and walked over to Baby Z. I carefully removed the raisins from the pile (choking hazard), took away the rest of the bag of cereal and returned to my dish washing.

Naturally, Baby Z helped himself to the little brown treasures scattered around him like wrapping paper on Christmas day. And I got plenty of time to finish my work. We had a good time cleaning it up, too. I giggled at the little bran goatee on Baby Z's chin and he giggled at the flying flakes scampering across the floor every time I tried to sweep them up.

Perhaps this is another badge of motherhood (see previous badge earned): the "Willfully Letting Your Kid Eat Off the Floor" badge. I'm all grows up!

1 comment:

brendeja said...

Mission Table Tray Elimination: Complete!