Monday, July 7, 2008

If Every Day Could Be Like This

This morning Baby Z was a joy and pleasure. He was calm and played by himself most of the morning. The couple of times he got whiney, I reminded him to calm down and be patient and he did calm himself down. I only had to discipline him once for not obeying. I was able to do some chores and then still had time to sit down and play with him. It was fantastic.

If every day was like this... but then I guess I would be waiting for the day when he was completely perfect: didn't disobey once, cleaned up his own toys, changed his own diaper and so on. Smile. Anyway, I'm just thankful for this morning. It's nice to remember that not every day is really difficult. The last week or so has been pretty tough. I think it was little bit of reigning Baby Z in after a weekend away with grandparents. It has reminded me how important it is to be consistent with discipline. It really is better for all of us.

I'm going to go grab some down time while Baby Z is napping. My crabby, willful toddler may return this afternoon.

UPDATE AT 1:30 PM.
My regular toddler is back. While cleaning up in the kitchen I hear the sound of water pouring onto the floor. Pee? Oh, no! No. Just a little Sierra Mist fizzing onto the floor. Innocuous but oh, so sticky. Then, while I'm cleaning that up, I hear furtive, quiet movements in the kitchen. Sure enough, Baby Z is crouched in the corner with a spray bottle of cleaner. He has the good sense to say all done and hand it to me. Then, as a parting shot, he pulls the roll of paper towels I left dangling over the edge of the counter in my hurry and manages to get a nice flag of 3 or 4 paper towels before I can sever the connection. Welcome back, Baby Z.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

ugh..while that is funny...it leaves me with a pit in my stomach for the days when baby p becomes mobile. this week has been challenging enough with him be stationary. i can see him requiring more attention during waketime....work has been really hard this week.