Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Stay Away from Meribah

I haven't been posting much lately because all I would write is complaints. I don't have much of the excitement I had during the first pregnancy to help me through the tough first trimester.

I was reading Psalm 106 last night which talks about all the ways God helped the Israelites with "might acts" and yet the Israelites continued to grumble and complain. Here God has given our family an amazing gift and all I can focus on is that I feel tired and sick to my stomach. I want to focus on God and His strength during this time. I want to be grateful and dependent on Him. So, pardon me if I write a little less; and pray for me because it probably means I'm focusing on the wrong things.

As for practical matters, my faithful friend, OverThinker, reminded me that I should give myself a break while I'm not feeling well. I wasn't really thinking of this as a phase of physical sickness, like I had the flu or something. When I switched to thinking of it that way, I realized I could make easier dinners (or not make it at all), let the housework go if I need to, sit on the couch while Baby Z plays. It also helps remind me that this "sickness" will pass. And at least we get a beautiful new member of our family, Lord willing, out of this sickness. Much better than what the flu gives you.

I'll end with this from Psalm 106:
"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
Who can proclaim the mighty acts of the Lord or fully declare his praise?"

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Now you are talking!

Of course, we had a sermon on Meribah a few Sundays ago and I wanted to recall some of it to sound really smart right now but I was so distracted by Baby P that I can't remember anything about it. I remember thinking it was a good sermon and that the Israelites sure were complainers. You definitely have the right perspective. All of this "morning" sickness is sickness with a purpose. That is what makes it "supposedly" easier to get through.
I was just thinking today about how merciful God is to us. Sure, He cursed us with the pain of labor and such. But the transition from 0 to 1 child and from 1 child to 2 and so on is so slow. Just think, Baby Z is already learning how to handle life with you partly there. Something he will have to come grips with in a more concrete way 9 months from now. But you get the idea. And you are learning how to not be available to him 100% but still be in the same proximity. It is a learning curve for both of you....and dear friend...I might be as bold to remind you that you did say you were ready for a new challenge....as I have said before, you are handling it really well and I know you will continue to handle it well. Most importantly, God will continue to give you the grace and strength you need. xoxo. looking forward to serving you MORE than you have been serving me over the past 12 months--which is going to be hard, since you were pretty impressive.

Routine Mom said...

Thank you, again, Over Thinker. You're so right to remind me that I said I needed a challenge. Friends are such good mirrors. :)