Friday, March 27, 2009

Does The Floor Really Have To Be That Clean?

It occurred to me today that Fridays are the closest thing I get to a weekend. Z is at Grammy's and I have good chunks of time to either relax or get things done. And although it can feel really good to clean up the house or pay the bills, I wonder if I'm using the time for the best. Contrary to my to-do list (which prioritized other items), I just spent about an hour sweeping and mopping the dining room and kitchen. Now I'm thinking I should have done something more enjoyable for myself, like take a walk, write, read or work on Harper's baby photo album. Then again, cleaning (without a toddler around) gives me a sense of Flow.

As with most things in life, I guess it's about balance. I got some cleaning done this morning and I'm going to take a nap and go for a walk this afternoon. I think that is probably a mixture that works well for me. It is a good question to ask, however, since especially women tend to prioritize others over themselves. If my husband had a day like today, he would be surfing or retooling a skateboard in the garage. I really can't complain (or maybe just not as much) if I don't take the opportunities I have to do some things that re-energize me. And if I think the floor really does have to be that clean, then I need to be realistic about other things that won't get done, such as dusting (which was on my list of to-do's). I guess the bottom line is that I think it's okay to let some things on the to-do list go in order to find some time to relax and recharge. Of course I'm not advocating not feeding your toddler lunch so you can take a nap (although don't think I haven't thought about it).

No comments: