Friday, March 6, 2009

First Day Us Three

I survived the first day without John. In fact, I did more than survive. I handled it. The three of us made it through the day, accomplishing everything we intended: getting dressed, eating meals, getting to Z's speech therapy group, playing outside for a little while, taking naps. Z had a few discipline moments, but we made it through. I was extremely tired by the end of the day, which is when I tend to get negative. (Really, there should be no self-evaluation allowed after 6pm.) Today, I can see how well it really went.

Next week will be the test, when there are more consecutive days of caring for two children. I'm extremely thankful that the two routines I laid out for the kids are working really well. There are some sticky moments of both kids needing me at once, but for the most part, things are staggered so I'm not going crazy. I did some planning and I realized there is not a lot of time where we aren't busy at least part of the day. When we're not busy is when Z starts to get more restless and tends to act up. I do better when I'm busy (but not too busy!) also.

Today Z has been at Grammy's all day and I've enjoyed some time at home with Harper. I am shocked at how much I can get done when there's no toddler around. It's amazing to me that I think life with a newborn is actually easier than with a two-year-old (not to mention both a newborn and a two-year-old). Anyway, here's to one day of success managing two children on my own. Hurray!

No comments: