Thursday, August 27, 2009

Potty School

It's been a year in the making...
Z is going to potty school tomorrow. No, this isn't a high-priced preschool for the toilet-challenged. It is a special day with just me and Z to focus on going potty in the potty. I've been working on the concepts of potty training for a while-- you know, a book here, comments there (Look at Papa go potty in the toilet!). But tomorrow is the day.

I'm using a book called "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day". The idea is that you spend an entire morning (or longer if needed) doing repeated practicing. You feed your child lots of treats and drinks to give them lots of opportunities to practice. It emphasizes building independence in the child so that the parent does not have to prompt the child to go potty. It's starts with a lot of hand holding and then, by the end of the training, they are initiating and doing it all themselves.

I decided to call it Potty School and I've been hyping it up to Z for a couple of weeks. He went with me to the store to pick out big boy underwear (he picked tighty-whitey's, I kid you not) and special snacks and treats. Harper will be with my Mom all day so that Z and I can focus entirely on potty training. I have a chart for checking for dry pants with glittery stars for each time he's dry. I even found a diploma and have told him when he learns everything he needs to learn he'll be graduating.

I'm really excited for this next big step for Z. He's getting so big!

No comments: