Saturday, August 22, 2009

Respite

The rest of the week sans pacifier has gone pretty well. Thursday and Friday we were back to a busy schedule with more interrupted naps and such. Harper did really well with only one more really tough crying session. And she continues to do better in the morning waking up close to 7am. I am so thankful!!!

Now, taking a break from milestones and crying it out...

I am feeling better lately, which is such a relief after a few really hard weeks. I just re-read some of my blog entries from when Z was about 6 months and it reminded me how I didn't feel completely normal then either. I sort of forgot how much hormones and breastfeeding and being a Mom of an infant can really affect me physically and emotionally. Of course, the recent sleep interruptions from Z waking up in the middle of the night didn't help either. After a few big breakdowns when I finally told John how I was feeling, I felt much better. Amazing how just talking about it helps.

One of the results of those conversations with John was that I've been taking more time for myself lately. Since I've preached that gospel in the past, I'm surprised I've forgotten it, but here I am again. So I've been trying to get out without kids more often and schedule more time with friends. It has really helped. Harper is so easy-going that I convinced myself that time with just her was a break (as opposed to having both kids), but it's not the same. This is also true with date time with John; we thought if we go out with Harper it was like a date, but it's not. We really need time just the two of us. So we need to schedule that more often also.

John surprised me with a You-Survived-6-months present: a massage and day at the spa! This was a gift before I had breakdowns, but it is certainly timely. I'm going this Tuesday and John is taking the day off to watch the kids. I'm really excited. I'm hoping to take some time to reflect and give thanks. Six months is an accomplishment and there is so much to be thankful for.

No comments: