Monday, June 11, 2007

Take that Progesterone!

I actually consider myself a pretty even-keeled person, and co-workers would often comment on how much they appreciated my calming, down-to-earth nature amidst stress at work. Somehow, this quality of mine is not translating well in my new role as a Mom at home. I have to give some blame to the insanity-inducing hormones raging through my body, but I have to take responsibility also. Unfortunately, it is my husband, John, who gets the brunt of this struggle. The poor guy has often patiently taken shrapnel from my explosions of bad mood at home when something wasn't going well (the little dude's nap or feeding, or perhaps something with dinner).

I have recently been reading "Beautiful in God's Eyes" by Elizabeth George, a study of the Proverbs 31 woman in the Bible.
"A wife of noble character, who can find? She is worth far more than rubies." Proverbs 31:10
One of the things I'm learning from this model of womanhood in the Bible is that a wife of value brings calm, steadiness and joy to those around her.

So, I've decided to wage war against my bad moods. There are several fronts to this battle, including one to help with the hormones. I bought some vitiman B6 and evening primrose oil capsules, which are supposed to help with PMS. I'm going to make sure I eat a better lunch and have a healthy snack in the afternoon, since my moods are often connected to low blood sugar. I'm also going to continue walking in the sunshine (exercise and vitamin D) and further my study in the art of the afternoon nap.

On the spiritual side, I've been praying and reading verses in the Bible about keeping a calm spirit, being wise in responding to situations, etc. Here are some that might be helpful for others out there.
"A heart at peace gives life to the body..." Prov. 14:30a
"A man's wisdom gives him patience..." Prov. 19:11a -- or, a woman's wisdom gives her patience
"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self control." Prov. 25:28

I've taped these verses to the bathroom mirror so that I don't forget them in the afternoon hours of frustration and crabbiness. I've already seen some progress. Yesterday was pretty tough (Sundays usually are) and I prayed and breathed and came close, but didn't break down into a temper tantrum. Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You are already so far ahead of many women going through things like this in the fact that you are appealing to Scripture. I wish I could be as faithful. Have a great day. Talk to you soon. Love, M